Campfire Cabbage à la Currie
Hamish Currie had a magical African youth, exploring the bush with his brothers and intrepid father. As the director of the charity, Back to Africa, he spends a lot of time in the bundu and as a result is a fantastic bush cook. Sometimes it is the simplest things in life that are the best and this is certainly the case for Hamish Currie’s Campfire Cabbage.
- a cabbage
- 2 knobs of butter
- salt and pepper
- tin foil
- hot coals or an oven
- Slice the cabbage in half.
- Spread the butter on to the now exposed inside of the cabbage.
- Add a good grinding of salt and pepper to season.
- Press the two halves of the cabbage back together and double wrap the cabbage in tin foil.
- Place on hot coals or in an oven preheated to 200ºC for 1 – 2 hours until deliciously soft.
- Serve with meat or fish.