Alastair Brew’s Chicken & Mango Salad
Angler, hunter and chef extraordinaire, our great friend, Alastair divides his time between Uganda, Scotland and Sweden, taking groups hunting, fishing and on safari. This is an interpretation of one of his recipes.
Glamping Alastair style
- 2 big handfuls of mixed salad leaves
- a small bunch of spring onions
- 2 skinless chicken fillets
- a tin of mango slices in syrup
- a small handful of pine nuts
For the dressing:
- 2 heaped tablespoons of crème fraîche
- 2 lugs of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 – 2 lugs of the syrup that the tinned mangoes come in
- Salt and pepper
- To poach the chicken, place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Poach for about 30 minutes. If you can, leave it to cool in the liquid. Take the chicken out of the pan and shred the meat.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot pan and leave to cool.
- Chop the spring onion finely.
- To make the dressing, mix the crème fraîche, balsamic vinegar and mango syrup in a large bowl. Add a little salt and a good grinding of black pepper and taste to see whether the dressing needs more balsamic vinegar. It is best if it tastes quite tangy.
- Add the chicken, salad leaves and mango slices. Mix well and serve. Sprinkle with the chopped spring onions and toasted pine nuts et voilà!