We stayed with Elspeth in Jo’burg and could not get enough of her delicious home made granola. The recipe is based on one from her favourite game lodge and makes enough to feed hungry guests and rangers for weeks. You can easily make half quantities but we know you’d regret it! Piled in to kilner jars, this granola makes a perfect edible Christmas gift too.
- 1 Kg Oats
- 375 g Hi Fibre Bran (for those in the UK, Kellogg’s All-Bran)
- 500 ml Honey
- 500 g Butter (don’t be alarmed, this only adds up to a small amount per portion)
- 100 g Raisins
- 100 g Sultanas
- 100 g Fruit Cake Mix
- 100 g Dried Cranberries
- 100 g Sesame Seeds
- 100 g Poppy Seeds
- 100 g Cashew Nuts (unsalted)
- 100 g Pumpkin Seeds
- 100 g Flaked Almonds
- 100 g Pecan Nuts
- Roast nuts and seeds on trays in oven until toasty. Keep a watchful eye on them.
- Melt butter and honey together in a pan over a gentle heat.
- Add melted butter and honey to oats, bran, toasted nuts, seeds, raisins, sultanas and dried fruit in a humongous container (i.e. a clean washing up basin).
- Mix thoroughly.
- Spread on trays and put in a cool oven. Every half an hour or so stir the mixture around to dry evenly. This process will take a couple of hours.
- Store in air tight containers or bags.
- Serve with milk and let your taste buds do the talking! Each mouthful is a surprise! Also dreamy sprinkled over fruit, yoghurt or porridge.